Hot Stone Massage
Beautiful basalt stones sourced from river beds are placed in their natural environment, water!, and gently heated to between 45-55°C. We then massage with these heated stones which not only transfer their delicious thermal properties into your aching muscles but offer their earthy grounding attributes as well.
The heat is initially stimulating, raising the body temperature slightly, it then becomes very relaxing and dispersing, especially to the muscles, joints and blood vessels. It opens the pores, induces sweating, and can penetrate the skin and muscles deeply. In essence, it’s akin to having a deep tissue massage whilst feeling exquisitely relaxing.
Benefits include (but are not limited to):
- Expand blood vessels (vasodilation) to enhance circulation bringing oxygen and nutrients and removing toxins
- Extremely grounding, producing a sedative effect
- Relieve chronic pain, reduce stress and anxiety, and promote deeper relaxation.
- Ease tension and pain.
- Reduce stiffness
- As the muscles are more relaxed due to the heat it allows the therapist to manipulate your deep tissues more effectively.
- Heat can also ripen latent boils, abscesses or skin eruptions and bring them to the surface for release.
- ‘Heat therapy works as a thermoreceptor stimulant. Thermoreceptors function as the biological responder to hot and cold stimulation. But thermoreceptors also work double duty by blocking the body’s pain transmitters from making their way to brain-and the end result is a significant decrease in painful sensations.’ – Bierman, William. The History of Fever Therapy, Bull N Y Acad Med. 1942 Jan; 18(1): 65–75.